Trauma-Informed Care For Addiction Recovery
Trauma is defined as an emotional response to terrible event in someone’s life. Whether it is a horrific accident, natural disaster, sexual or physical abuse, military combat or neglect, the impact of trauma causes physical and emotional reactions in the victim. If those wounds are not treated, the individual is likely to suffer health problems, including mental illness and substance abuse. Many are drawn to drugs or alcohol because the pain is too much to bear on their own and abusing substances becomes a way to self-medicate. It is because of this that trauma-informed care in addiction treatment is incredibly important. Trauma-informed care is a treatment framework that recognizes and responds to the effects of trauma while also addressing the physical and emotional safety for the patient.
What to Expect From Trauma-Informed Care In Panama City Beach Florida
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office on Women’s Health, 55 to 99 percent of women being treated for substance use disorders and 85 – 95 percent of women in the public mental health system have a history of trauma, mostly linked to their childhood. When someone experiences trauma, it affects every part of their being, from physical, mental, social, and spiritual. The National Survey of Adolescents reported that teens who have experienced physical or sexual trauma were three times more likely to admit to current or past substance abuse. In surveys of adolescents in treatment for substance use disorders, more than 70 percent had experienced trauma. Another study released by Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) revealed the costs of untreated trauma-related alcohol and drug abuse were estimated to be $161 billion in 2000.
At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, our team is highly skilled in treating trauma. After a thorough clinical assessment, each patient will have an individual care plan that is customized to meet their needs emotionally and physically. Our compassionate, professional counselors understand that for a long period of time, these substances have been the misplaced way of dealing with deep emotional wounds. This understanding is the first step in providing a trusting, safe place for the patient.
Call us today to learn about how we can help850-424-1923
The Core Principles of Trauma-informed Care For addiction recovery
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, facilities that provide trauma-informed care, incorporate these core principles:
- Safety – Provide an atmosphere that ensures the physical and emotional safety of the patient
- Trustworthiness and Transparency – maintaining trust among staff, clients, and family members
- Peer support and mutual self-help – key in building trust, establishing safety and empowerment
- Collaboration and Mutuality – A recognition that healing happens through relationships and each staff member plays a role in one’s recovery, whether they are a therapist or not.
- Empowerment, voice and choice -Patients are in an atmosphere of encouragement throughout treatment and receive validation as they reach new milestones. There is a respect that each client’s needs are different and requires an individual approach.
- Cultural, historical and gender issues – acceptance is practiced and cultural stereotypes/biases are removed (ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, race)
Trauma-Informed Care for addiction recovery in Panama City Beach Florida
At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, our staff is highly trained to deliver trauma-informed care that is designed to help our patients heal the mind, body, and spirit. Using key trauma-informed principles and evidence-based behavioral therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy, we provide the coping strategies necessary to promote recovery from the trauma and addiction. If you or a loved one could benefit from a trauma-informed approach in addiction treatment, our staff is ready to help. Call one of our compassionate admissions coordinators today.