Cocaine Addiction Treatment
Cocaine is a recreational stimulant that increases dopamine levels in the brain, specifically in areas that control pleasure and movement. It is most commonly inhaled, injected, or snorted, but can also be rubbed into the gums or injected if mixed with water. Cocaine’s rapid impact on a user’s mental state makes it dangerously addictive very quickly, much like heroin.
Also like heroin, cocaine can cause life-threatening side effects, including:
- Tachycardia, or rapid heartbeat
- High blood pressure
- Elevated body temperature
- Increased panic attacks and/or agitation
- Aggressive behavior
- A loss of contact with reality, which can result in paranoia or psychotic thinking
- Impulsive behaviors, or even manic behaviors
Cocaine addiction also raises the risk for:
- Heart attack
- Myocardial infarction (blockage of blood flow to heart)
- Sudden cardiac death
- Other organ failure
What to expect?
At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, we have helped many cocaine addicts overcome their addictions with a combination of evidence-based counseling, individual psychotherapy, group therapy, and experiential activities.
Each client receives a custom treatment plan based on their needs, starting with a complete mental and physical evaluation to address any undiagnosed psychological or health issues.
From there, clients receive services essential for overcoming addiction:
- A medical detoxification plan, supported by medications to help ease withdrawal symptoms and physician assistance available 24/7.
- Counseling and psychotherapy sessions, focusing specifically on the coping and life skills required to complete the program. (We use motivational interviewing as a client-centered, non-confrontational therapy to help point out the consequences and risks of addictive behavior.)
- Holistic services to nourish the body, mind, and spirit.
- Ongoing support and aftercare programs to help identify stressors that could trigger a relapse.
A cocaine addiction is different than addictions to other stimulants because of the way cocaine reduces the brain’s ability to feel pleasure. After a cocaine detoxification, rehabilitation includes providing clients with medically-supportive care, counseling, and holistic therapies to help reduce cravings and improve overall health and well-being.
If you or someone you know needs treatment for a cocaine addiction, please contact us today.