Benzodiazepines, commonly referred to as Benzos, are typically prescribed for conditions involving the central nervous system. They are most commonly used for muscle relaxation or to treat anxiety and panic attacks. Two of the most familiar drugs in the Benzodiazepine family are Valium and Xanax. Some benzodiazepines, including ProSom and Halcion, have an additional sedative effect and are used to treat insomnia or other short-term sleep disorders.
Benzodiazepines are not typically prescribed for long-term uses, including sleep issues, because of how easily patients can become addicted to the sense of calm that the drugs create. It’s also possible for patients to develop a tolerance for them. Mixing them with alcohol can be life threatening.
Because of their highly addictive nature, it can be extremely dangerous to withdraw from benzodiazepines without medical assistance. Do not try detoxification on your own. If you or someone you love needs help with benzodiazepine abuse, consult with a doctor immediately.
What to expect?
At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, treatment begins with a physical and mental evaluation by healthcare professionals who specialize in addiction withdrawal. This will address any previously undiagnosed health or psychological disorders.
From there, each client receives a specialized treatment plan essential for overcoming a benzos addiction:
- A medical detoxification plan, supported by medications to help ease withdrawal symptoms and physician assistance available 24/7.
- Counseling and psychotherapy sessions, focusing specifically on coping and life skills required to complete the program. (We use motivational interviewing as a client-centered, non-confrontational therapy to help point out the consequences and risks of addictive behavior.)
- Holistic services to nourish the body, mind, and spirit.
- Ongoing support and aftercare programs to help identify stressors that could trigger a relapse.
How long does it take?
Each client’s treatment is specialized; therefore, each client’s length of stay varies depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity and duration of the addiction
- How the benzos were used — whether pills, snorting or injection
- What other drugs, if any, were used with benzos
- Tolerance level to benzos
- Any additional mental or physical health conditions
- Any past problems with relapse or completion of an addiction treatment program
JourneyPure Emerald Coast excels in developing personalized recovery programs specialized to the unique needs of each client. With a successful combination of evidence-based counseling, group therapy, individual psychotherapy, and experiential activities, we have been able to help many addicts seeking sobriety.
If you or someone you know needs addiction treatment for benzodiazepines, please contact us today.