Notice: Undefined variable: data_chunks in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
JourneyPure Emerald Coast Trauma Treatment
Trauma is a stressful event in which someone feels severely threatened psychologically, emotionally and/or physically. A traumatic event may include a car accident, the sudden death of a loved one, abuse, neglect, a natural disaster, a violent criminal act or exposure to the violence of war.
With time and support of loved ones, many people successfully recover from a trauma and bounce back with resiliency. However, for others, the effects of a trauma are long-lasting, causing them to live with fear, deep emotional pain, confusion or post-traumatic stress — long after the event has passed. In this situation, guidance, support and the help of the JourneyPure Emerald Coast trauma treatment professionals are essential to healing from the trauma.
Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
PTSD often occurs after a traumatic event. If you find yourself reliving the trauma in detail, feel unusually anxious or worried, or have trouble sleeping — and these symptoms don’t disappear — you may have PTSD. These symptoms usually occur within a few months after the traumatic event and last longer than a month. Although some individuals spontaneously recover from PTSD, others do not. Many turn to the false comfort of alcohol or drugs to cope with the crippling anxiety that results from PTSD.
You may need trauma therapy from our Florida treatment program if:
- You have flashbacks, nightmares or experience scary thoughts.
- You avoid going places or seeing things or people who remind you of the trauma.
- You feel numb or have trouble remembering the trauma.
- You feel guilty or depressed, or have lost interest in activities you used to enjoy.
- You feel tense or angry, have trouble sleeping or are jumpy.
- You view yourself negatively.
- You feel detached from loved ones.
Trauma therapy is the best way to deal with the emotional turmoil associated with PTSD, while also addressing the physical problem of addiction. Not every trauma situation results in PTSD. In fact, the majority do not. However, it does occur, and it can be extremely fearful, overwhelming and frustrating, which may lead to an increase in drug and/or alcohol abuse as a source of relief. With help from our trauma therapy in Florida, you can:
- Feel self-assured with regards to your response to the threatening situation
- Develop the ability to react appropriately when fearful
- Gain access to social support, whether it be through loved ones or a support group
- Gain coping strategies as well as learn from the event
Trauma Treatment at Florida’s JourneyPure Emerald Coast
There are several therapies and treatments that help individuals suffering from PTSD or who need help recovering from trauma. At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, we will design a treatment plan that is customized to your specific needs. Our professionals take this approach because trauma, like substance abuse, affects everyone differently. Talk therapies such as cognitive restructuring, exposure therapy and non-addictive antidepressant medicines are three common trauma treatments.
Cognitive restructuring therapy helps victims of trauma understand the bad feelings and behaviors associated with the event. It is very common for trauma victims to feel guilty — especially veterans who have PTSD. Cognitive restructuring reframes the unclear images and memories into an event that makes sense to the victim — while relieving feelings of guilt or shame.
Individuals who practice avoidance behaviors after trauma sometimes need exposure therapy. Exposure therapy gradually introduces the fearful event to the victim in a safe and controlled way. A client might visit the place where the event happened, write about it or imagine it. This allows the victim to experience and cope with the feelings while facing their fear, and eventually, building confidence to overcome it.
The benefits of these therapies are tremendous and life changing. Resolving a past trauma can improve sleeping habits, appetite and physical fitness. Emotionally, victims can let go of damaging feelings such as guilt or shame. Anger and irritability are greatly reduced, and that can influence the happiness of close family members and friends.
Trauma and Substance Abuse
JourneyPure Emerald Coast helps individuals with challenges related to trauma, substance abuse and mental health disorders. If trauma and substance abuse are both problems, we can help with:
- Detox. Trauma victims who use drugs or alcohol to avoid the discomfort associated with PTSD or other uncomfortable symptoms may need help quitting using. Withdrawal worsens challenges such as depression, anxiety, anger and irritability. It also causes physical sicknesses such as vomiting, chills, hallucinations and insomnia. Medically assisted detox can relieve these symptoms and ease the transition into recovery.
- Dual diagnosis. Our clinicians will evaluate you or your loved one for signs of a preexisting condition such as depression or anxiety. Getting help for a treatable mental health disorder can improve outcomes for substance abuse and trauma.
- 12 Step or alternative therapies. Programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous offer peers the opportunity to share experiences and feelings. It also presents the chance to discover a purpose for life, and to help others through the recovery experience. JourneyPure Emerald Coast gives clients both 12 Step and alternative support options.
- Aftercare. Transitioning to home life once residential care ends is worrisome for many clients. You or your loved one will partner with a recovery coach who will guide you through a personalized plan. You’ll also have access to a proprietary software program that provides help 24/7.
Developing Personal Growth
If you experience overwhelming thoughts, behaviors or feelings after a trauma, it is important to know that these are human experiences, and there is nothing to be ashamed of. In the aftermath of a trauma, many people experience a positive personal growth as a result of the traumatic event.
Through the assistance of our trained professionals, you can heal from the consequences of trauma. The positive outcome of psychological development gained through our trauma treatment center in Panama City Beach includes:
- Realizing there are new possibilities
- The ability to relate to others
- Personal strength
- An appreciation of life
- Spiritual change
It is important to understand that recovery from PTSD or Trauma and/or addiction does not happen overnight. It takes time to build your relationship with a therapist, talk through the trauma, recover from the addiction and process the healing. The good news is you can heal from the trauma as well as recover from an addiction relating to the trauma.
If you or a loved one is struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, it’s critical to seek professional help for both chemical dependency and mental illness. The team at JourneyPure Emerald Coast is here to help. Call (800) 493-5253 today. Our lines are open 24/7/365.