Notice: Undefined variable: data_chunks in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
Musical therapy is a well-established, evidence-based process that helps people in crisis use positive coping skills and express challenging emotions. At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, our certified therapist uses music treatment for addiction, trauma and mental health disorders. Through songwriting workshops and other means, clients can address their cognitive, emotional, physical and social needs.
Although musical therapy doesn’t cure addiction, it offers clients a powerful outlet, and it helps them cope positively with the stress of recovery. Best of all, anyone can use music therapy — knowing how to play an instrument, sing or write a song is not necessary.
How Music Therapy for Addiction Works
JourneyPure Emerald Coast is proud to offer this proven coping strategy to our clients. It has shown to be enormously effective for people who suffer from substance abuse, dual diagnosis and past trauma. Music is familiar to everyone, and it provokes powerful feelings.
For example, a client in recovery might hear or write a song that expresses longing, fear or helplessness — or it might suggest confidence and happiness. When the client can share their response to a song’s message, it makes it easier to put their own struggles and challenges into words. Alternatively, a song might inspire joy, or laughter. These predictable emotional responses can help clients avoid relapse once residential treatment ends.
There are measurable benefits to music therapy. Music therapy has “a significant effect on an individuals’ relaxation, respiration rate, self-reported pain reduction, and behaviorally observed and self-reported anxiety levels,” according to the American Music Therapy Association. In addition, the AMTA notes that music therapy causes “positive changes in mood and emotional states” and enhances “feelings of control, confidence and empowerment.” Music also positively effects muscle tension, blood pressure and heart rate, as well as emotional intimacy.
Music therapy is so powerful as a coping technique that it is commonly used in regions struck by natural disaster. It is suitable for all ages, including children and adolescents. It is a remarkably effective therapy when fruitful dialogue is not yet ready to take place.
Music Therapy and Mental Health
Many people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol also have a mental health disorder. Individuals with mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, ADD/ADHD, bipolar and schizophrenia are much more likely to use a substance to control their disorder symptoms. Often, the disorder is undiagnosed. Music therapy’s effectiveness at helping people with a mental health disorder communicate, cope with stress and make healthy decisions is proven. Music also helps people discover important personal insights, develop verbal and nonverbal communication skills, interact socially and boost concentration.
Experiential Songwriting Workshops at JourneyPure Emerald Coast
Experiential Songwriting Workshops allow participants to step into their creative world and express themselves in a beautiful, authentic way. Very often by the time patients get to treatment for substance abuse, trauma, depression and other challenges, they have lost their ability to engage their creative voice. Songwriting with a professional gives participants the ability to reach deep inside and use music to find that expression that has been buried deep within.
Our music therapy has the perfect balance between allowing participants to write their own story and giving them the tools to incorporate music. So very often when struggling with addiction and other challenges, finding your voice and feeling heard seems almost impossible. At JourneyPure Emerald Coast, we are honored to offer this type of experiential growth for our patients and families.
A Personalized Interdisciplinary Recovery Program
Music therapy plays an important role in every client’s integrated recovery program. The interdisciplinary recovery program at JourneyPure Emerald Cost is holistic and includes physical, psychological, cognitive, emotional and spiritual aspects. The qualified and trained professionals at JourneyPure Emerald Coast develop a personalized program for each client that meets these needs. Music therapy works in conjunction with other evidence-based treatments such as motivational interviewing therapy, but it also complements spiritual recovery programs such as the 12 Steps. That’s because music therapy improves communication skills, and verbalization is essential for getting the most out of the holistic programs offered by JourneyPure Emerald Coast. In addition to music therapy, JourneyPure Emerald Coast also offers:
- Physical sickness, intense cravings, hallucinations, depression or anxiety, and problems with sleep and appetite usually define the first few weeks of withdrawal. For some users, the challenges of beating these miseries lead straight back to drugs or alcohol. JourneyPure Emerald Coast offers medically assisted detox as an alternative to relapse. Our trained and compassionate professionals can ease your transition from using to recovery and can help you feel less overwhelmed.
- Dual Diagnosis treatment. Mental health plays a big role in substance abuse recovery because many addicts have undiagnosed depression or anxiety. Dual diagnosis, also called co-occurring disorder, is the assessment when a client suffers from a mental health condition and addiction at the same time. Our clinicians can help if you have dual diagnosis.
- Trauma-specific care. If you experienced a past trauma, then we can help. Our trauma care program uses the latest evidence-based techniques, including music therapy, to release buried feelings and find ways to cope — without alcohol or drugs.
- 12 Step and alternative counseling. 12 Step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous and alternative group counseling, offer clients a chance to achieve a spiritual recovery. Find your purpose in a life that’s free from drug and alcohol abuse.
- Every clients worries about what will happen after inpatient treatment. Our aftercare counselor will plan a path that will help you cope. You can also take advantage of Recovery Coach, a proprietary software that gives you encouragement the moment you need it.