Eating Disorder Treatment in Florida
Get the caring help you need at JourneyPure Emerald Coast.
Notice: Undefined variable: data_chunks in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
Characteristics of Eating Disorders
Common characteristics shared by people with eating disorders include:
- Distorted body image — Anorexics and bulimics both seem to suffer from body image distortions. People with these diseases may be of normal weight or even severely underweight, but see themselves as fat, unlovable or ugly. They can’t see themselves for who they are.
- Signs of depression — Approximately 50 percent of people with an eating disorder also meet the criteria for major depression.
- Predominantly female — Although eating disorders can strike men or women, it’s primarily a disease that affects females. Ninety percent of people suffering from an eating disorder are female.
Although eating disorders can affect people at any time, most people diagnosed with an eating disorder are between the ages of 12 and 25. With the pressure on young women to conform to unrealistic expectations of beauty, many women develop a disordered body image and an eating disorder.
Symptoms of an Eating Disorder
Each eating disorder on the list of major eating disorders has different signs and symptoms:
- Anorexia — Anorexics believe they are fat when they are of average weight or underweight. They severely restrict their calories and may exercise obsessively. Anorexics often have a too-thin appearance. Without the necessary body fat all people need, they may feel cold all the time and wear extra clothing, both to conceal their thinness and stay warm. Women may stop menstruating if their body fat percent drops below a genetic threshold. Hair and nails may become brittle from poor nutrition, and their skin may be dry. An anorexic can starve to death if left untreated.
- Bulimia — Bulimics binge and purge to rid themselves of the excess calories they’ve just consumed. Bingeing may be on sugary, fatty or salty foods, or regular foods. Purging may take the form of forced vomiting, consumption of laxatives or extreme exercise regimens intended to burn off the extra calories.
- Compulsive overeaters — Compulsive overeaters know they should regulate their eating but find themselves unable to do so. Some cannot control the quantity of certain foods they eat, such as sugar foods, while others eat despite feeling full or even getting sick. The action of eating itself becomes the addiction rather than the food they are abusing.
The Dangers of Eating Disorders
Unlike other addictions — in which addicts can stop using a substance and continue to live a normal life — people suffering from eating disorders eat three times a day for health and wellness. This means that a food addiction or eating disorder can be even more difficult to control than alcoholism or drug addiction in which the object of addiction can be avoided without harming health. People with eating disorders have to learn how to eat normally even when their addiction tells them not to.
Disordered eating is glamorized in our society. The entire diet industry is a big business. So, too, is food advertising, which is prevalent no matter where you turn for entertainment. Girls are encouraged at a young age to look like their favorite fashion models, celebrities or singers, yet these entertainers’ images are touched up by computer into unrealistic, impossible glossy ideals. It’s no wonder that so many people suffer from disordered eating.
Eating Disorder Treatment in Panama City Beach, Florida
JourneyPure Emerald Coast offers treatment for disordered eating in Panama City Beach, Florida, as well as treatment for drug and alcohol addiction. Our licensed therapists and counselors will work with you to create a personalized recovery plan for you.
We offer individual and group therapy, experiential therapy, healthy meals and more to help you recover from disordered eating. We can teach you the skills you need to set a firm foundation for your recovery.
Call us at (800) 493-5253 today to learn more about eating disorder treatments in Panama City Beach, Florida at JourneyPure Emerald Coast.