Synthetic Drug Abuse Treatment
Drug detox is the first step to addiction recovery, but it’s also the most difficult step of the entire journey.
Drug dealers manufacture synthetic drugs using dangerous combinations of household chemicals, and those chemicals react unpredictably with human physiology. In addition, synthetic drugs are highly addictive and may cause permanent physical and psychological damage. If you’re abusing synthetic drugs, you need to get help now.
JourneyPure Emerald Coast offers individualized, synthetic drug abuse treatment for addictions to synthetic drugs and club drugs such as LSD, spice and bath salts, as well as illegal and prescription drugs. Call us for immediate help at (800) 493-5253.
What Are Synthetic Drugs?
Synthetic drugs are addictive chemical concoctions made in makeshift labs usually under filthy conditions. The pharmaceutical industry originally developed some synthetic drugs for medicinal purposes but later abandoned them because they were dangerous or didn’t have any therapeutic value. Dealers quickly realized these drugs were cheap to make and provided an amphetamine-like high that quickly addicted users. Consequently, they began experimenting with reproducing these drugs using chemicals like pseudoephedrine, drain cleaner, antifreeze, battery acid and lantern fuel.
Dealers and people involved in the drug trade create and name synthetic drugs to appeal to the club-going crowd. These drugs have cute names and promise all sorts of lies. People get hooked on them and the club lifestyle. Eventually, the lifestyle catches up with them, and they begin to lose their health, friends, job and more, as drugs become all encompassing.
Some of the more commonly known synthetic drugs are:
- LSD, a hallucinogen
- Ketamine, an anesthetic relative of PCP
- MMDA, known by the street names ecstasy or molly
- Bath salts, a synthetic creation that is almost pure poison (and has nothing to do with taking a bath)
- Spice, a synthetic marijuana
Effects of Synthetic Drugs
The effects of synthetic drug abuse vary depending on what kind of chemicals were used to make the drug. Some are hallucinogens, such as LCD or ecstasy, or a combination of hallucinogen and anesthetic, such as ketamine.
Hallucinogens change how your senses process the world. You may see and hear things that aren’t there. Ecstasy not only causes hallucinations and sensory changes, but it also damages the serotonin receptors in your brain. At first, you may feel happy and relaxed, but as your body rids itself of the drug, anxiety and depression kicks in. Many hallucinogens, including LSD and ecstasy, cause nightmares, flashbacks and paranoia for weeks, months or even years after taking them.
One of the most dangerous synthetic drugs are “bath salts.” The term refers to a group of stimulant drugs called synthetic cathinones. Natural cathinones come from the khat plant. Bath salts produce a feeling of euphoria, combined with a loss of inhibitions and an increased sex drive. The effects aren’t predictable and some people report a nightmare of paranoia, psychotic or violent behavior instead of euphoria.
Ketamine is a surgical anesthetic used by veterinarians. It produces a dissociative and numbing effect. It’s often called the date-rape drug because users can’t defend themselves after taking it, and they cannot recall what occurred while under its effects. Nausea, vomiting and hallucinations can result from taking ketamine.
Contrary to popular belief, synthetic drugs are not legal. In fact, the Synthetic Drug Abuse Prevention Act established in 2012 placed over 25 different kinds of cathinones and synthetic cannabinoids on the list of drugs found in Schedule I of the Controlled Substance Act. If you are caught in possession of a synthetic drug, you could be charged with a felony.
Long-Term Effects of Synthetic Drugs
Most synthetic drugs cause temporary or even permanent damage to neurons in the brain. Some, such as ecstasy, can short-circuit the brain and scramble its serotonin receptors. Others flood the brain with dopamine. When these brain chemicals rebound, users can feel depressed, extremely agitated or anxious — or even so paranoid they become violent.
Chronic mental consequences of long-term synthetic drug abuse also include the development of serious mood disorders resulting from clinical depression resistant to treatment. In addition, synthetic drug addiction is known to compel users to self-mutilate if they are hallucinating or feeling suicidal. In addition, synthetic drugs can cause a host of physical side effects, including:
- Liver and kidney failure
- Premature osteoporosis
- Psychosis/schizoaffective disorders
- Loss of motor control and coordination
- Heart damage
- Malnutrition/vitamin deficiencies
Synthetic drug abusers who inject their drug of choice are at risk for suffering additional health issues:
- Skin erosion/ulceration
- Vein blockage/vein infection
- Gangrene and abscesses
- Blood clots in overly used veins
- Risk of hepatitis, HIV or other blood-borne infections
Synthetic Drug Addiction Signs
Just like heroin, meth and cocaine, synthetic drugs abnormally increase levels of dopamine, serotonin and other neurotransmitters related to pleasure, sensation and satisfaction. Over time, these changes make users crave more drugs to avoid unpleasant and sometimes frightening withdrawal symptoms.
If you find yourself craving synthetic drugs and cannot stop taking them on your own, you may have a synthetic drug addiction. Often, synthetic drugs require increasing the amount you take to achieve the same high you once got from using a lesser amount of the drug. This results in spending most of your time finding ways to obtain your drug of choice and thinking obsessively about getting high and staying high — all of these are indicative of a possible synthetic drug addiction.
Synthetic Drug Abuse Treatment in Florida
Did you know that addiction is a complex disease requiring a broad range of individualized treatments? JourneyPure Emerald Coast offers synthetic drug abuse treatment in Florida that addresses every aspect of addiction. At our synthetic drug rehab, you’ll find a group of trained and compassionate counselors and therapists who can help you stop abusing synthetic drugs. Enroll in our synthetic drug rehab center to determine why you started using and what you need to do to stop.
JourneyPure Emerald Coast is the synthetic drug rehab that offers:
- Withdrawal assistance. The detox program at JourneyPure Emerald Coast sees clients through the challenges of early recovery. If you or your loved one has tried to quit but constantly go back to using, detox can help. Reduce the severity of common withdrawal problems such as sickness, cravings, anxiety and insomnia — and ease your transition into recovery — at JourneyPure Emerald Coast.
- Dual diagnosis treatment. Many individuals abuse alcohol and drugs because they are self-medicating undiagnosed symptoms of depression or anxiety. With help from our clinicians you can heal your mind and reduce your need to abuse synthetic drugs.
- Evidence-based treatment and therapy. You’ll work with professionals who practice cutting-edge addiction medicine with a clinical history of better outcomes. From behaviors to brain waves, the latest techniques are exciting.
- A renewed spiritual commitment. Finding internal satisfaction means working to fulfill your purpose in life. Through programs such as the 12 Steps and other alternatives, you can enrich your spiritual journey and quit trying to find the answers in drug abuse.
- Extended aftercare. Partner with a professional who will design an aftercare plan that meets your needs with JourneyPure Emerald Coast. You’ll also have access to Recovery Coach, a proprietary software that helps individuals get 24/7 access to a helping hand.
Enroll in Florida’s Leading Synthetic Drug Rehab
We treat each person who comes to us for synthetic drug abuse treatment as a human being with unique problems and needs. Your personalized recovery plan is developed specifically to address you as a whole person and not just an addict.
Your synthetic drug addiction treatment plan may include individual and group counseling, 12-step work, experiential therapy and trauma therapy to help you recover from your drug addiction. You will learn how to cope with “triggers” that may cause cravings and relapse and understand why these cravings occur. When you leave us, you’ll be strong enough physically, mentally and emotionally to continue getting better on your own. Our patient-oriented, compassionate approach to synthetic drug abuse and addiction makes JourneyPure Emerald Coast the leading synthetic drug addiction treatment center in Florida.
For more information or help with your synthetic drug addiction, call JourneyPure Emerald Coast at (800) 493-5253
Notice: Undefined variable: data_chunks in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/vhosts/emeraldcoastjourneypure.com/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/logo-slider/logo-slider.php on line 1319